Friday, August 10, 2012

The Sebastian Chronicles: One Night in Bangkok (then three more)

Thank goodness our hotel had a balcony.

We greeted Bangkok with a good long snuggly sleep, which is where I come into my element. Other elements were not so kind. The fur-lined and fur-covered are not designed for the tropical monsoon, and I refused to go out in Bangkok lest Trixie drop me off the express boat. She was melting in the heat and it only takes one butterfingers moment to lose a bear in the Chao Phraya.

However, we were able to enjoy a few precious sweaty evenings on the balcony, watching the lights pop on all over the modern heart of the city. Trixie and I got bitten by mosquitoes (I'm delicious), which is the downside of staying outside at dusk. It was a magical end to my days of lounging around the hotel, drinking the free water.

Trixie and Tallulah were clearly in high spirits when they packed up for the last time, and forgot that they shouldn't put me in the case if they were going to have me on the train. I have to admit, I'm quite glad as I would have ended up with them at the snake farm and I feel that my famed courage may have deserted me when confronted with a cobra. Not many pythons in the bear forests of northern Europe, either. Unfortunately, this ended with a rather undignified liberation from the depths of the suitcase, culminating in an improvised forceps delivery. I trust that Trixie and Tallulah read my expression of disapproval when my head popped free.

I'm a very forgiving bear, despite being sorely tried, so I let Tallulah have a cuddle (Trixie had to endure my silent judgement for a few more minutes) and read the bit in First Time Asia about travelling with others, as I peered out the window.

Next I'll tell you about my island adventures. Stand by...

No comments: